Ministerial Task Force Set To Screen Occupants At National Stadium Lagos

A Special Task Force constituted by  the sports minister Mr Sunday Dare today commenced work on the verification of occupants and identification of illegal structures inside the National Stadium, Lagos, a statement from the minister’s office said.

The  Permanent Secretary in the  Ministry of Sports Gabriel Aduda, says the task force was created to restore sanity to the long-abandoned complex ahead of its planned concession.

“ The National Stadium, Lagos holds a lot of fond memories for our sportsmen and other people. We shall no longer allow our infrastructures to lie waste,” Dare stated while inaugurating the committee.

“All our national stadiums shall be put to best use. Abuja and Kaduna are at advanced stages, Lagos has approval for concession. Before the process is complete, we need to restore sanity to the place.

So, the work of the Task Force is cut out. In the past, we had interlopers, now it is going to be fixed to serve our teeming youths. The Task Force will carry out its assignment according to the law of the land.”

The committee’s task is expected to undertake a comprehensive  audit of approved tenants, verify details of tenancy agreement, come up with a list of approved and unapproved physical structures, as well as a list of squatters and their businesses.

In addition, members of the committee  will undertake a detailed investigation of  the ministry’s staff who allow the presence of the squatters, and also analyse revenue generated at the stadium and take inventory of all shops and businesses within the stadium premises.

The committee, which has members drawn from the sports ministry, Lagos State and the private sector, has 21 days to complete its assignment.

The minister had earlier given illegal occupants at the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Abuja a 25-day ultimatum to quit to enable rehabilitation work commence.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here